Friday, January 15, 2010

Taste that Act I

Alright, so it's not great. It's done on first pass, and it actually ended up about right. in the end of my first Act, the girl finds a tooth which she attributes to her father's real killer. It happens four-ish pages into the outline, or 30 pages into the script, which is just about the sweet spot. Of course, by the time I'm done, I'll have whittled that 30 pages down to 15 or 20 and gotten into the action much quicker.

So, my thoughts on Act I. Dialog is really bad. By the end I was just putting placeholder dialog in which conveyed exactly what I wanted said in that scene, but it was really generic, on the nose, and just plain terrible. Still, since I only started this script on the 5th, and I've only written during lunch breaks for the past 2 weeks, I think it's pretty mighty to accomplish a whole first act in what amounts to a grand total of 8 hours, minus that day or two I spent on the web series and the time sucked from me when I had to do work over lunch. Compound that with the fact that I had to get back in rhythm after being away from the project for so long and I'm kinda proud of myself for the effort. However, I will be the first to tell you that it's sh*t right now. That's why I have garbage draft written all over it.

Why don't I write at home? I live in a 1 bedroom apartment with a wife, 2 bunnies, and a dog. Work is the least hectic place in my life. There is nowhere to hide.

No comments: