Query letters are criminally inefficient, take forever, and are a necessary evil. having just moved to La, i sent out 480 to different tv shows and agents, and will most likely hear back from non of them.
Here's how it works:
1. move to LA. Make sure you have that La number/address.
2. buy the Creative Directory/Representation Directory.
3. Write a query letter saying all the best things about you.
4. Look through the directories and find the addresses of all the companies/agents that interest you.
5. For agents, include a postcard. For production companies, include your resume.
6. Send those suckers out. Don't forget postage, that's how they get ya.
7. Wait a while.
8. Get either no call or a rejection letter.
9. Go to #1.
That's it for now. Next up...temp agencies.