Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Cinegear/Pitchfest

I was reading one of my recent posts and forgot that i didn't mention Cinegear. Cinegear is the best show outside of NAB for learning about the technology of film/tv. There were red cameras, Dalsas, lights, and about every cool gadget, fun fact, or production resource a person can ask for.

Now, on the flip side, it was on the Universal backlot...outside...in a freak heatwave... and i was in long sleeves and pants. It was about the hottest I've ever been. In fact I was going to go both days, but I decided I couldn't put up with it a second day. Instead, I met some friends at the 3rd St. Promenade for dinner in the bearable heat. Still, where else but La are you going to get onto a Hollywood Backlot (where they made spartacus) and be able to touch and play with tons of gear.

BTW, the coolest thing by far I saw was a lighting effects board which gave incredible control for lightning effects, explosions, and even candlelight. It was really amazing.

The next day, instead of Cinegear, I went to Pitchfest and sat at the Scriptwriter's Network table. We signed up about 10 people, and got to meet a lot of awesome people... I met the writer of Liar, Liar, which was cooler than anything else I've done in LA except for Warner Brothers. I'm telling you, I've met more people who can help my career in La in 2 weeks than I did in an entire career in DC.

For those of you who don't know, the GREAT AMERICAN PITCHFEST is an event where a bunch of potential producers pitch their projects to a room full of production companies and agents. Basically, how it works is that the producer stands outside a little cubicle booth, and every five minutes a new producer goes into the booth and pitches the production company inside. Then, five minutes later, the pitch is done and they move onto the next booth. It's a really great event. I know someone who pitched at the event and someone who was being pitched and I heard great feedback from both.

There is an event called FADE IN which is similar in late summer, and another on called the Writer's Expo in November. I'm going to try to get to both.

No comments: